Personalized Treatment Guide
In this area of our website, you can learn more about:
Diagnosis and Treatment
Finding a lump in your breast—whether it’s you or your doctor who detects it—can be overwhelming and frightening. You’re likely wondering, “What’s my next step?” and “Who can help?”
At The Breast Center at Montefiore Nyack Hospital, you’ll be cared for close to home by our expert physician team, which includes all the specialists you might need for both diagnosis and treatment. If cancer is found, they work together seamlessly to recommend the best treatment for you as an individual, then carry it out.
Cancer patients at The Breast Center are partnered with a Breast Health Navigator, who serves as their personal guide throughout diagnosis and treatment. Navigators arrange any additional testing needed, including genetic testing, explain treatment plans and help set up appointments with cancer physicians—medical oncologists, radiation oncologists and surgeons.
Early detection and accurate diagnosis are critical, so we offer an array of effective breast-imaging options, including 3D mammography, the most advanced type of mammography available, breast ultrasound and breast MRI. The Breast Center has been designated a Breast Imaging Center of Excellence by the American College of Radiology.
Our board-certified, breast-fellowship-trained radiologists oversee all imaging services and work hand in hand with our board-certified breast surgical oncologists to provide diagnostic procedures, including fine needle biopsies.
The Breast Center’s multidisciplinary team of specialists meets weekly to develop evidence-based strategic treatment plans that follow the standard of care per NCCN guidelines and are individually tailored for each patient. This allows the team to deliver the best care available. We offer comprehensive on-site treatment services, including:
- Radioactive Seed Localization (RSL). For patients who need breast cancer surgery, RSL is an advanced technique that can help surgeons pinpoint a tumor’s location and remove it with little damage to the healthy tissue around it. The level of radioactivity in the seed is so low that it’s not a hazard to patients. Montefiore Nyack Hospital is the only facility in the area that offers this innovative program.
- Oncoplastic Surgery. Breast surgical oncologists use the latest oncologic and reconstruction techniques for the best possible survival and cosmetic outcomes in breast-conserving surgery (lumpectomy) and partner with plastic surgeons to provide immediate reconstruction when a mastectomy is performed. Sunny D. Mitchell, MD, Medical Director of The Breast Center, is a pioneer in the field of oncoplastic breast surgery.
- Hidden Scar™ Breast Surgery. Dr. Mitchell specializes in breast-conserving and nipple-sparing surgical techniques that leave a small surgical footprint while still providing the best possible medical results. As an expert Hidden Scar breast surgeon, Dr. Mitchell teaches other breast surgeons this advanced surgical technique. Montefiore Nyack Hospital is the only recognized Hidden Scar Center in Rockland County.
- Radiation Therapy. This treatment destroys cancer cells using high-powered beams of energy, such as X-rays and protons. Our radiation oncologists employ the latest techniques and most recent clinical outcomes data.
- Medical Oncology. When cancer treatment requires medications, a medical oncologist helps determine whether it should include chemotherapy, hormonal therapy and/or immunotherapy. When appropriate, he or she generates a personalized breast cancer genomic profile to tailor treatment recommendations.
Patients with a positive finding on their mammogram can seek emotional and physical support through additional no-cost services provided at The Breast Center. We strive to provide a full compliment of services available to support and uplift the patient experience.
To make an appointment, call 845-348-7579 or use our Contact Us form.